2017 – 2018 – Year in Review
It has been a great pleasure and privilege to serve our community for another year. I would like to thank every one of you and the Executive Committee for your ongoing support for the Anglo-Indian Association of New South Wales Inc (AIANSW).
Since AGM November 2017, we have held many social, cultural, religious and sporting events, supported generously by members and guests:
- December 2017: Kids’ Christmas Tree with a tremendous turnout of members, guests and their children who were entertained with games by our youth and a Magician. Our resident DJ Gerard Jansen entertained us with Christmas Carols and dancing.
- December 2017: Our annual flagship New Year’s Eve Dance was a success. Members and guests sought tickets till the last minute. Moonshine Drive entertained us along with DJ Gerard Jansen to bring in New Year 2018. Our MC was George Rodrigues.
- March 2018: The first event of the year was the Senior’s Lunch. Record numbers enjoyed the catered food followed by games, dancing, Bingo and afternoon tea.
- April 2018: The Chaat Night = another popular event. There was a variety of food on sale, donated by members and guests, willingly serviced by volunteers. The event ended with Bingo, enjoyed by all.
- May 2018: Mothers’ Day dance. Limited Editions entertained us with upbeat music and Gerard Jansen was our DJ once again; our MC was Gerard Rodrigues. All enjoyed the music and each other’s company.
- August 2018: On Sunday 12th World Anglo-Indian Day was celebrated with a picnic at Nurragingy Reserve by a variety of food and games for kids and adults
- September 2018: We celebrated Fathers’ Day with South Indian brunch, a variety of dosas enjoyed by all.
- October 2018: Coach trip to Bowral Tulip Festival followed by the Anniversary Dance, and finally, the November AGM.
The Committee has been very keen to define and secure the future of our Association and decided to involve members. A Strategic Planning meeting, attended by about sixteen members who volunteered their services, resulted in formation of four specific purpose sub-committees. We met on the 30th June 2018 and collated our ideas on objectives and aspirations of AIANSW including action plans to be implemented in upcoming months.
This year we donated our time at a special Mass at St Anthony’s Church, Toongabbie where the AIANSW sponsored the Mass, participated in the choir, readings, offertory and refreshments after Mass.
Membership & Finances
Welcome to all new families and individuals that have joined us. In a similar manner, our financial position has improved appreciably thanks to the unending, diligent efforts of the Executive Committee and Treasurer in managing AIANSW finances diligently. This enabled us to make generous donations of over $6,000 in the past two years to various deserving causes.
In the 2017/2018 Cricket Season we welcomed few new players. We played in Division 2 of the Blacktown District Cricket Association and did not have a successful year despite strong individual and team performances. We are still in need of more players. Thanks to our sponsors Mascot Steel and DTS Communicate with whose support we were able to obtain new uniforms.
The support of our members has been very gratifying and their generosity in donating time and money has been much appreciated.
My sincere condolences to all our members who have lost loved ones in the past year, including the sad loss of my beloved father. I would also like to wish those members who are ill to have a speedy recovery and please let us know if there is anything we can do to help.
Thank you and God Bless.